I spotted a box of Don Lee Farms Crispy Shredded Chicken Tacos in the freezer section of Costco and decided to give them a try.
The quick review is, “The tacos are okay but not amazing. I doubt I would buy them again.”
Keep reading and we will cover:
- How to Cook the Crispy Chicken Tacos
- Are the Chicken Tacos Good?
- Calories and Nutrition for the Tacos
- Price of Don Lee Farms Chicken Tacos at Costco
How to Cook the Frozen Chicken Tacos from Costco
There are three sets of cooking instructions provided for the tacos:
- Air Fryer
Oven Heating Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 375F
- Remove two tacos from their plastic wrapper and place on a baking sheet
- Bake the tacos for 20-25 minutes
Stovetop Heating Instructions
- Coat pan with oil
- Remove two tacos from their plastic wrap and place in pan
- Heat on Medium for 2-3 minutes flipping often
Air Fryer Instructions
- Remove two tacos from their plastic wrap and place evenly in your air fryer.
- Heat at 375F for 6 minutes
When we cooked these in our air fryer we had to modify the instructions as they were not ready after six minutes. We heated at 375F for 6 minutes, flipped them over and heated for another 6 minutes at 375F.
Don Lee Farms Chicken Tacos
- Air Fryer
- 2 Don Lee Farms Frozen Tacos 2 tacos per serving
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Salsa
- 1/4 cup Guacamole
- Remove two tacos from their plastic wrap and place in the air fryer.
- Heat the tacos at 375F for 6 minutes.
- Flip the tacos over and heat at 375F for 6 more minutes.
- Remove the tacos from the air fryer and serve with sour cream, salsa and guacamole.
Are the Don Lee Farms Chicken Tacos Good?
We cooked one batch of tacos by the stovetop directions and another with our Ninja Foodi Air Fryer. We put the tacos side by side and the ones from the air fryer (left side) came out much better than the ones from the stovetop (right side).
The tacos from the air fryer were crisper and less greasy than the ones from the stovetop.
That being said, neither set of tacos really came out that crispy. We were able to get some crunch along the edges but the middle of the tortillas stayed pretty soggy. The crunch level on these tacos is well below what we got with the San Miguel Mini Tacos from Costco and was disappointing for a product with “Crispy” in its name.
The filling in the taco seemed to be about 50% shredded chicken and 50% American cheese. The combination wasn’t bad but I really wasn’t expecting so much cheese especially since it isn’t mentioned on the front of the package.
We served the tacos with some sour cream, guacamole and salsa. We ended up eating all four tacos but we weren’t excited by the meal.
Calories and Nutrition for Don Lee Farms Chicken Tacos
Two tacos are considered a single serving and have the following calories and nutritional information:
- Calories: 260
- Fat: 12g (15% DV)
- Cholesterol: 40mg (13% DV)
- Sodium: 510mg (22% DV)
- Carbohydrates: 23g (8% DV)
- Protein: 14g
These tacos are labeled as Gluten Free.
Price of Don Lee Farms Chicken Tacos at Costco
I bought the 16 pack of frozen Don Lee Farms tacos for $13.99 which works out to a cost of $0.87 per taco.
This is about the same cost of Costco’s Street Taco Kit which I feel is a higher quality product.
If you need a gluten free product then the Don Lee Tacos are acceptable. If gluten isn’t important to you then you might want to go with the Don Miguel Mini Tacos or Costco’s Street Taco kit.