Costco is selling Snow’s Chopped Clams in a six can pack and I was excited to buy them.
I love having a nice stash of canned clams in my pantry. They are great for quick and tasty seafood diners like pasta with clam sauce, New Haven White Clam Pizza or even a quick prepped clam chowder.
Overall Review of Snow’s Chopped Clams
The canned clams from Snow’s are okay but not amazing.
On the Positive Side
- The clams are chopped into a decent size and don’t looked minced.
- I have been through several cans and so far have only found one piece of shell.
- The flavor of the clams is acceptable.
- The 6.5 oz can is a convenient size.
- The canned clams are a bargain.
On the Negative Side
- The clams are packed with clam juice along with salt, sugar and a phosphate based preservative. The added salt brings the sodium content of the can up to 1160mg which is 46% of your Daily Value.
- The clams are a bit chewier than I prefer.
- The cans seem to be 50% clams and 50% broth.
The canned clams from Snow’s at Costco are about average in terms of quality but are above average in terms of value. I will be buying these again as they are extremely handy for quick and tasty meals.
Recipes for Chopped Clams
I love eating pasta with clam sauce. I don’t really have a standard recipe but my “close enough” version is:
- Melt 1 tbls butter in a sauce pan.
- Add the contents of one can of clams to the pan, juice included.
- Add 1/4 cup dry white wine.
- Add the juice of half a lemon.
- Add a shot of hot sauce.
- Simmer for five minutes and serve over noodle of choice.
The cans of clams have the following recipe for a Sour Cream Clam Dip:
- 2 cans Snow’s Clams, drained
- 8 ounces Sour Cream
- 1 Tbls Diced Green Onion
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- Dash of Black Pepper
- Combine ingredients in a bowl, mix well then refrigerate before serving.
For other recipes you can follow these links:
Another nice way to use the clams is to add them to a container of Ivar’s Clam Chowder to make the soup a little more flavorful!
Item Number and Location
The canned clams are Item Number 206112.
The clams are usually found in he non-refrigerated grocery aisles where the canned tuna, canned chicken and canned roast beef are displayed. Sometimes this product gets moved to the end-cap when it goes on sale but that does not happen very often.
I bought the six pack of canned clams, 6.5 ounces each, at Costco for $8.99 which works out to a cost of $1.49 per can.
You can buy these same clams at Walmart for $1.96 a can.
This means you will save $0.47 a can (24%) when you buy your clams at Costco.
And don’t worry if you are concerned about buying a six pack as these clams have a shelf life of two years.