We have been eating our way through Costco’s “Take and Bake” meals and last night gave the Costco meatloaf and mashed potatoes meal a try. I had been delaying buying this meal for a while because the bright red color of the glaze on the meatloaf did not look appetizing.
However, I am happy to report that the meatloaf tastes much better than it looks and that this is a pretty decent meal.
Cooking Instructions for Costco’s Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
The cooking instructions for this meal are:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove the clear plastic lid.
- Cover the meal with aluminum foil and seal the edges.
- Place the tray on a cookie sheet.
- Put the meal in the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes until an internal temperature of 165F is reached.
I followed the provided instructions and our meal was ready in 65 minutes.
Most of Costco’s ready to bake meals have instructions to bake at 400F instead of 375F. I suspect the lower temperature is required for this meal so the meatloaf glaze does not scorch.
How Many People Does the Costco Meatloaf Feed?
You get four pounds of food per tray which means you should be able to easily feed six people.
One thing to keep in mind though is that the number of servings is going to be determined by how you slice the meatloaf. To get six even slices start by using two cuts to slice the meatloaf into thirds and then use three more cuts to slice the thirds in half.
While the meatloaf and potatoes are fine on their own you will want to add some vegetables to stretch the meal and put some color on your plate. I went with some simple steamed mixed veggies but a Caesar salad would have also been great.
Is Costco’s Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes Good?
I was surprised at how good this meal was.
The meatloaf was well seasoned with a texture that was firm but not dense. My only complaint about the meatloaf was the glaze which was both thicker and sweeter than I preferred. That being said, the glaze wasn’t bad, it just could have been better.
The potatoes were rich, silky and buttery and made the perfect bite when scooped up with a piece of the meatloaf.
It was just my wife and me for dinner last night so we had plenty of leftovers. I suspect I will be having a meatloaf sandwich for lunch and I might even slip a little to one of my pups when the other two aren’t looking.
Costco Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- 1 tray Costco Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- 1 lb Frozen Vegetables (Peas and Carrots)
- Remove plastic lid from the tray of Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes.
- Preheat Oven to 375F.
- Cover tray of food tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place tray on a baking sheet and place in oven.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until the meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Prepare frozen vegetables according to package directions.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve.