Amy's Organic Vegetable and Barley Soup Review
Product Name: Amy's Organic Vegetable and Barley Soup
Product Description: 14 ounce of vegetable barley soup. 120 calories.
Brand: Amy's Organic
Offer price: 2.49
Amy’s Organic Vegetable Barley Soup is a tasty and low calorie meal that is perfect on a fall day. The soup has a great mix of vegetables and barley.
The sodium content is the soup is unreasonably high.
Sodium Levels are Stupid High
It is a brisk fall day today so when I saw Amy’s Vegetable and Barley Soup at the store I knew exactly what I was going to be eating for lunch.
Doesn’t a big bowl of Veg and Barley soup sound perfect for a Fall lunch?
Vegetable Barley Soup Nutrition, Ingredients and Labelling
Let’s take a closer look at what comes in this 14 ounce can.
A serving of this soup is the full can.
The nutrition facts for the can of soup are:
- Calories: 120
- Fat: 1.5g (2% DV)
- Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV)
- Sodium: 1230mg (53% DV)
- Carbohydrates: 24g (9% DV)
- Protein: 3g
With low calories, fat and cholesterol this soup looks extremely healthy. Unfortunately, like Amy’s Chunky Vegetable soup, the sodium content is insanely high at 53% of you Daily Value.
The soup has the following ingredients:
- Safflower oil
- Black pepper
All of the ingredients are labeled as Organic.
Additionally, the company website lists the soup as:
- Dairy free
- Lactose free
- Tree nut free
- Plant based
How Does Amy’s Kitchen Vegetable Barley Soup Taste?
I heated this soup up in the microwave (3 minutes on High) and had it for lunch.
I loved the flavor of the soup. There was a sweetness from the onions and carrots which balanced out by the earthiness of the barley. It was nice to have all of the different colors and textures as it kept the meal interesting. The barley was plentiful and almost creamy.
I did not find the flavor of the soup to be too salty despite the high sodium levels.
The flavors and textures were exactly what I was hoping for in a vegetable barley soup. There are only 120 calories in the soup but I found it to be a filling and satisfying meal.
While the soup made for a fine fall lunch, I will not be buying it again simply based on the sodium content.
Other Reviews from Kroger Customers
Let’s take a look at what other customers think about this soup.
When I checked out the reviews for this soup on Kroger’s website I saw that there were just a few number of reviews (29 as of November, 2021) and 86% of them were either 5 or 4 Stars.
There were also a few reviewers, 14%, who really disliked this soup and left it a 2 Star review.
Some of the positive comments reviewers left include:
- I initially thought the soup wouldn’t taste good with the barley, but it’s delish! Even my husband is a fan of it and asked if we could order more.
- This has become my #1 soup. I like that it’s low fat. I add some frozen veggies and more seasoning and it becomes an entire meal for me with crackers or bread.
- All flavors of Amy’s are good. Veggie Barley is hearty, almost like a veggie stew, very good in chilly months.
Some of the negative comments reviewers left include:
- Sorry – I was very disappointed with this one. I was expecting a vegetable taste, but this has very sweet overtones that can’t be overcome with added sea salt. I was not impressed.
- Not the best tasting. I prefer the minestrone or the lentil.
In general it looks like most people enjoy this soup and do not share my concerns about the salt content.